BCG Monthly Competition
Competitions are held monthly and are usually judged by an accredited PSQ judge. Members compete in the grades (B, AB, A) to which they have been allocated. Entries can be submitted in the nominated set subject category (see the Program for set subjects) and the open subject category. New members should note that miniprints may be entered by ungraded and B Grade members.
1. New members MUST be graded to participate in the monthly competition.
- To receive a grade, a new member is to submit up to TEN prints and/or digital projected images for appraisal.
- Please allow 14 days from image submission and confirmation of membership payment for allocation of BCG membership number. You will be notified by email of your membership number.
- Allow a further 14 days for membership badge.
2. Each entry must be clearly labelled with member number, grade, subject and title.
3. Monthly Competitions usually include a nominated Set Subject and an Open Subject. See the the Program for details of set subjects for the year.
4. Lodge all entries with the Print and Digital Directors at the Club NO LATER THAN the scheduled Focus Night in the same month of the Competition OR two weeks prior to the competition night if there is no scheduled Focus Night. If you cannot attend the relevant Club night you may submit earlier. Late entries will NOT be considered and processed for judging.
5. Each member is permitted to enter a total of four (4) images in each monthly competition. These four (4) entries may be any combination of print or digital projected images, so long as the number of images submitted in any one of these media does not exceed four (4) entries. Within each media, entries may be distributed in any manner between the set subject and open subject category. Set subject entries attract two (2) extra points.
6. If a member is found to have submitted more than 4 entries in total in any given month, the Director will have the right to remove whatever entries necessary to bring the total number of entries within the guidelines outlined above. If the error is not discovered until after the judging, the highest scored entries will be removed to bring the total number of entries within the guidelines. Any removed entries may be entered in subsequent competitions.
7. Submission requirements are as follows:
No minumum size restriction, with mounts not exceeding 16” x 20” (40cm x 50cm). All prints may be non-owner processed. DIGITAL prints are accepted in all categories.
On Back of Print
Download the label proforma and print the labels to be attached to the back of your prints. The arrow on the lable is to indicate top of the photograph. Complete the information required on the label and attach to the rear of your photograph with the arrow pointing to the top. The label requires this information - Set or Open Subject, Grade, Title, Member Number. Example:
Title: Roses are Red
Member No: 610
Images must not be greater than 1400 pixels wide & 1050 pixels in height, the maximum pixel height of 1050 applies to both Portrait (vertical) and Landscape (horizontal) images.
The file must be named in the following way :
category _grade_title_member number.jpg eg. Set_AB_Red Tulips_678.jpg ensuring there are NO spaces either side of the underscores "_", NOR after the Member Number.
The" _ " between parts of the filename MUST be an Underscore as shown and NOT a hyphen; use Shift+hyphen to type the Underscore.
Category must only be one of the words Set or Open. Do NOT include the actual set subject.
Grade must only be the letters B, AB or A.
Title as you choose, but MUST not include any punctuation marks, including apostrophes, nor any symbols between words. Spaces are OK.
Member Number must be your actual number without any leading zeros that might be shown on your Membership Acceptance letter.
For Mac OS users the best way to attach them is by making a zip file and attaching that to the email. Click on the image below for detailed instructions.
PLEASE NOTE: Names, copyright information & image filenames must not be included on DPIs. The Digital Director reserves the right to reject an image if it does not satisfy the club rules.
8. Print and Digital Projected Image entries may be used in only one monthly competition with the exception of NON-ACCEPTED (“Entered”) entries, which may be re-submitted in one further monthly competition.
9. An identical image, regardless of format (Print or Digital Projected Image) may be entered only once in a Monthly Competition & once in an Annual Competition.